Kids bring loose change to provide a change of clothes for underprivileged kids. Change for change – it just makes cents!
Many children we meet come to us with nothing, and they need everything. When school starts again, they will need the basics like shoes, pants/skirt, a backpack and a lunchbox.
Here is the estimated cost for these items:
Shirt – $10
Pants/jeans – $15
Shoes – $25
Backpack – $15
Lunchbox – $10
Total amount for 1 child: $75
We want to bring these needs to life for your children’s group! Once created by you (we will provide the template to make it easy!), these larger-than-life-boy and girl cutout patterns make a great visual to encourage your children to bring change for underprivileged kids. As the pennies and quarters begin to multiply, the children will see change happening right before their eyes!
On the printable pattern we will provide, each boy and girl cut out pattern has a change of clothes to include all the items listed above. When the children bring enough change to buy a shirt for $10, the shirt can be placed on the child cut out. Then, when there is enough change to buy pants, the pants can be placed on the child cut out. When the total amount of $75 is raised, the child cut out will be fully “changed” and ready for school!
What if my children raise MORE than $75, you ask? Well, here is a little secret: we hope they do! There is no reason to stop at changing just one child. Dress as many children as you can. We are all about helping one more child!
Your children will have so much fun with this colorful visual and spirited project. Most importantly, their young hearts will be opened to how compassion changes lives!
One of the best things about the Change for Change project is how versatile it is to fit any size group or ministry. It is our intention for you and your children to not only have fun, but to succeed in all areas of the project. Here are some ways you can tailor the Change for Change project to meet your needs. Have more ideas that are not listed below? We would love to hear about them and help you reach your goals!
Ideas to customize your project:
- Change the life of One More Child – Last year, OMC was able to impact the lives of more than 106,000 children and families. However, we continue to remember that it is about one more child. Your project could focus on providing for the needs of one child!
- Offer a change – If you have a time where a formal offering is taken, pass a “ change” bucket around. The children will have fun trying to fill it.
- Race for change – Split your group into boys and girls and make it a “race for change.” Encourage them by having an incentive at the end of the race!
- Change for shoes – Another idea instead of using our larger-than-life-boy or girl pattern is to focus on shoes (or another one of the items needed)! Have your children’s group bring change for shoes, and each time they “buy” another pair of shoes, place them on the floor down a hallway where the children will be walking. What better way than to remind them…“How beautiful….are the feet of those who bring good news…!” Romans 10:15 (NIV)
- Sponsor change – Raise enough change to sponsor a child in the developing world for an entire year ($35 a month). Click here to sponsor a child!
There are so many ways to be creative with this project! You might choose one of our specific campuses or one of the 12 developing nations we serve through One More Child to gift your money. Make this giving opportunity fit the needs of your group. We know whatever you choose will have great impact for your kids, and kids in need will be changed because of you. Is there anything better than that?
Are you ready to make a change? We are here to help! Depending on which direction you choose for your project, here are some of the tools and materials you may need to succeed!
- These downloadable images
- Material for your child pattern (cardboard, foam board, etc.)
- A projector if you choose a larger-than-life-size cut out
- A writing utensil to trace the image
- Cutting tools such as scissors or a jigsaw for heavy material
- Material for the clothes and accessories, such as poster board, cardstock, foam board, etc., depending on the size you choose
- Decorating supplies such as paint, stickers or other textures. However you choose to decorate your child, be creative! Add a face to the boy and girl, give the lunchbox a polka dot pattern or let your kids choose a team name and colors.
If your group dresses more than one child, and we hope they do, there are a few options as to how you might decide to show their accomplishments visually. After your larger-than-life-boy and/or girl is fully “changed,” consider having downsized (8 1/2 x 11 or smaller) versions to show how your children are making a difference. You can simply print out the fully dressed 8 1/2 x 11 boy or girl from our downloadable images and let the children color in the clothes.
These smaller versions will represent the same amount of change, but may suit you better if space or time is scarce! Consider placing the additional changed children on the wall next to your large cut out.
Here are some talking points that may help as you communicated the needs for children to your young audience!
- “There are children who live near you who do not live with a mom, dad or grandparent like you may. They do not have someone who can buy them clothes and they need your help! Would you like to help them?”
- “These children live in Florida and in poor countries around the world like Nicaragua, Uganda and the Dominican Republic.” (Show them where these countries are on a globe)
- “Do you remember what it was like to have what you needed on the first day of school? Maybe your mom or dad took you shopping and you were able to get a new pencil and different colored folders that your teacher said you needed. We would like to give these special children that same new start with a change of clothes, a lunch box and more. BUT, we need your help!”
Thank you for teaching the next generation to have a heart for orphans! Leading up to your campaign and after, we want to connect with you. We can help with ideas and answer all of your questions. We also want to make it easy for you to drop off or mail your gift to us for children in need!
If you have questions or would like to send us pictures of your own Change for Change project, please contact our church engagement team at Engage@OneMoreChild.org or 863.687.8811. You may send your Change for Change offering to P.O. Box 8190, Lakeland, FL. Let us know that it is for Change for Change and include your church’s name!